Many students struggle with their academic papers or exams because they don’t know how to make learning more productive and interesting. There are many study tips that show how to improve your retention of information, critical skills and analysis skills. If you read this article, you will learn a great deal about them, and this knowledge will help you during your college life.
Study Tips: Making Learning More Systematic
Many people believe that last-minute cramming is the best learning strategy, and such an opinion is utterly unfounded. In this way, students can only retain information for a short time, but this approach doesn’t allow them to improve their skills. So, the most important study tip is to avoid cramming. Here are some study tips for college students. You will do well to consider them:
- Do the readings assigned for lectures beforehand. If you do so, you will see that almost every lecture can be much more interesting and enjoyable.
- Try to use visual aids. Charts, diagrams and tables will help you better memorize and understand ideas and relations between these ideas.
- Make brief notes of your readings. In case you are reading a textbook chapter or a research article, you should summarize its content in bullet point format.
- Don’t let yourself be distracted from your studies. In particular, you need to resist the temptation of YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and anything that is not a study activity. They will not help obtain higher grades.
These study tips have already benefited thousands of students, and you may also find them quite useful:
Study Tips: Learning Techniques
To make learning more productive, students may adopt various learning techniques. Please, consider some of them:
- Study groups. By learning together, students can better understand the concepts discussed during lectures.
- Mind mapping is another technique that can come in handy. You should first write the central idea identified by the professor and then come up with new ideas that arise from it. If there are several related ideas, you can show the connections between them with the help of Euler-Venn diagrams.
- Case studies and scenarios. The main criterion of academic performance is the ability to find practical applications for knowledge. So, when your professor asks you to discuss a case study, you should do it.
- Finally, brainstorming is another method that can be used by groups or single individuals in order to generate new ideas or solutions.
So, if you use these tips for study, you’ll see that life in college can become much more interesting.